Meanings of the Holy Qur’an
by Marmaduke Pickthall
Surah 1, THE OPENING
1. In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
2. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,
3. The Beneficent, the Merciful.
4. Owner of the Day of Judgment,
5. Thee (alone) we worship; Thee alone we ask for help.
6. Show us the straight path,
7. The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who
Surah 2. Al-Baqara
1. Alif. Lam. Mim.
2. This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil).
3. Who believe in the unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that We have bestowed upon them;
4. And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) and that which was revealed before thee, and are
certain of the Hereafter.
5. These depend on guidance from their Lord. These are the successful.
6. As for the disbelievers, whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not.
7. Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom.
8. And of mankind are some who say: We believe in Allah and the Last Day, when they believe not.
9. They think to beguile Allah and those who believe, and they beguile none save themselves; but they perceive not.
10. In their hearts is a disease, and Allah increaseth their disease. A painful doom theirs because they lie.
11. And when it is said unto them: Make not mischief in the earth, they say: We are peacemakers only.
12. Are not they indeed the mischief makers? But they perceive not.
13. And when it is said unto them: Believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Are
not they indeed the foolish? But they know not.
14. And when they fall in with those who believe, they say: We believe; but when they go apart to their devils they
declare: Lo! we are with you; verily we did but mock.
15. Allah (Himself) doth mock them, leaving them to wander blindly on in their contumacy.
16. These are they who purchase error at the price of guidance, so their commerce doth not prosper, neither are they
17. Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindleth fire, and when it sheddeth its light around him Allah taketh
away their light and leaveth them in darkness, where they cannot see,
18. Deaf, dumb and blind; and they return not
19. Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder and the flash of lightning. They thrust their fingers
in their ears by reason of the thunder-claps, for fear of dead Allah encompasseth the disbelievers (in His guidance).
20. The lightning almost snatcheth away their sight from them. As often as it flasheth forth for them they walk therein,
and when it darkeneth against them they stand still. If Allah willed, He could destroy their hearing and their sight Lo!
Allah is Able to do all things.
21. O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil).
22. Who hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you, and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from
the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye know (better).
23. And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a sura or the
like thereof, and call your witnesses beside Allah if ye are truthful.